DIY Projects, General, Redecorating, Sewing, Uncategorized

Chair recovering finished

All four chairs are done and over all I’m happy with the end result. Clearly, the new recovered chairs do NOT match the table or the original chairs, but they never were going to. Someday it may be a nice to strip the new chairs and stain them to a more similar colour, but for now they look okay. Also, the table itself is looking pretty worn and haggard these days and really needs to be refinished, but that is a project for another day.

223.JPG

227.JPGI had a bit of leftover seat cushion fabric, so I made a suuuuper basic table runner. The idea is that by having the fabric also on the table it will make the whole set look more cohesive. I also chucked on the crystal bowl we got as a wedding gift to fancy the whole thing up a bit. End result? Passable. The runner actually looks good and does help to make things a bit more matchy matchy, but I still feel that the original chairs look fairly out of place. A good idea may be to do some slip covers for the backs of the original chairs (Jonathan doesn’t want me to make cushions for them…) to bring it all together, but then I worry that maybe it would start to look too busy and fussy.

So overall, this project was worthwhile and very easy. I also like how easy it is to change the fabric, so as our style changes I can VERY easily adapt the chairs to match. And this was seriously easy. The seats/cushions came off very easily. Taking the old fabric off along with all the staples was a bit of a pain in the ass until I decided to just be lazy and use an xacto knife to cut it off. Leaving the staples there and the thin strip of original fabric made things a lot faster and it didn’t seem to make any difference in the end. Cutting the fabric for the seats was as complicated as laying the fabric down, putting the seat on top of it, cutting out the general shape plus an inch or two on all sides. I then used my trusty staple gun and attached the fabric. I trimmed the excess fabric, reattached the seats, and that was that. Done. Absolutely a beginner level project.

  • Total cost was 50$ for the chairs and 16$ for the fabric, for a total of 66$.
  • Total time taken was about 10 minutes per chair (remove the cushion, remove the old fabric, put on the new fabric, reattach the cushion).

So 66$ and 40 minutes, we finally have enough chairs to seat more than 4 people at the table. Well worth it.

229.JPG 231.JPG

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s