Work continues on my Sock Yarn Justification blanket. The little squares (31 stitch) are very satisfying to do and take very little time. I can do one small square in about twenty minutes. I’ve also started making big squares (61 stitches), in part because I wanted some variety, but also to try to better show off the longer colour shifts of some of my yarns. I still really don’t like the DROPS Delight that I have, I still think it is crap yarn, but I am hoping maybe done in larger blocks at least the colour shift will look better.
I dug a little deeper into my yarn stash and found some more sock yarns for the project. The yarns I have are:
- Garnstudio DROPS Delight (ugh)
- Patons Kroy Sock yarn
- Lang Yarns Mille Colori Socks and Lace
- Schachenmayr Regia Fluormania Colour
- Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball
- Mystery Self-striping sock yarn that I used in these socks but I can’t remember what make the yarn is
- Neon Pink Fingering (leftover from Sonar Shawl)
- Black Fingering (leftover from Sonar Shawl)
This is more than I thought I had. I’m pretty surprised at how much fingering yarn I have unearthed but it definitely isn’t enough to be able to complete the blanket. I do have the problem that pretty much all of the yarns are pink/red/purple/orange colour heavy with not a lot of blue or green, so when I went and purchased some extra balls of Kroy sock yarn the other day at Michael’s I made a point of having some be in more blues and greens.
Speaking of which, the selection of sock yarns here is beyond pathetic, and the few options there are cost a pretty ridiculous amount considering what you’re getting. I made a post on the Ravelry boards sending out a general call for any sock yarn people didn’t want and would be willing to donate to this project. I quite honestly didn’t expect to get any offers but damn if I didn’t get multiple offers! I’m floored! The first offer was from a woman in Wisconsin, IL, offering me ~12 different sock yarns that she would mail to me, no cost. She wouldn’t even let me pay for shipping, which is beyond generous. Such kindness and generosity is pretty refreshing and surprising, and I feel strongly that I want to pay it forward and do something like this for someone else some day.
Now, I know I had planned to knit all the individual squares separately and seam them together afterwards, with the thought that I would be able to get the most random and even colour distribution that way. This was a brilliant plan until last night I actually bothered seaming together 4 small squares to make 1 larger block. What a pain in the ass that was! So to hell with that idea, I am going to do the picking up stitches seam as you go technique laid out in the pattern. I did one square like that so far and it was pretty slick so I have continued in that way. I think it is going to be a pain in the ass as the blanket gets bigger, but probably still better than seaming everything after the fact.